This workshop is the perfect introduction to the world of coffee roasting and will provide you with a great overview and theory of what is involved in micro-roasting coffees from around the world. A great entry-level workshop for coffee retailers and home roasters.
Do you want to learn more about what it takes to roast excellent coffee? Our one-day roasting class is a one of a kind offering that will teach you what you need to know in order to start your journey to become a first class coffee roaster. If your goal is to master home roasting, take your coffee knowledge to the next level, or to start a micro-roasting operation, our hands-on roasting course will up your game to a professional level.
Our roasting workshops are held at Water Avenue Coffee, a new roastery/cafe opened by ABC’s founder Bruce Milletto, Matt Milletto (ABC’s Director) and Head Roaster/Roasting Instructor Brandon Smyth in June of 2010. The roastery is adjacent to ABC’s, and effectively doubles the size of the facility’s instructional space to 4,000 square feet. Combining the roastery with ABC’s makes the ABC’s experience one unparalleled in coffee education anywhere.
Class runs from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Catered lunch included included in workshop cost.
• Introduction to Roaster Types (air, drum) and sizes for your cafe or business.
• How Roasters work, how they toast the coffee seed, history of roasting.
• How to select green coffee and how to get it delivered, either through importers or direct.
• Hands-on Probatino workshop, roasting three different roast-levels.
• Le Nez Du Cafe – aroma sensory demo & discussion.
• Cupping of previous roasts, discussion of difference in profiles.
• Blending concepts
• Cupping of regional varietals & process, Discussion of roast profiles per region & process, how they differ & how they are similar,
• Open forum, Q&A
Students will receive a Roasting & Cupping Diploma from the American Barista & Coffee School to acknowledge their continued education and understanding of the basics in roasting and cupping.
Brandon Smyth first worked at a small roastery 12 years ago and has been in the specialty coffee industry ever since, traversing the West Coast while working at the most prestigious cafes, coffee importers and small batch craft roasters, including Stumptown Coffee Roasters in Portland, Oregon. He is accomplished roaster who has roasted several of the most expensive and unique coffee varietals in the world. Brandon has continued his pursuit of roasting knowledge through the rebuilding and installation of several vintage coffee roasters.